Weird Sex Scenes: The Matrix Reloaded


Weird Sex Scenes is an ongoing series on Can You Dig It? chronicling the creepiest, most puke-inducing and life-scarring sexy times popular culture has to offer. Check out more posts here.

Not so long ago, I came to the agonising, pain-staking conclusion that I quite like The Matrix Reloaded. As a whole film it's not that great, even if it is leaps and bounds better than the threequel, The Matrix Revolutions. When speaking about the second entry to The Matrix trilogy, there are so many scenes I bring up that I genuinely like, and think are proper bad-ass with echoes of its predecessor, that I find it hard not to defend Reloaded. By no means is it close to The Matrix, but it isn't a travesty either. 

There is a scene in Reloaded that I couldn't possibly defend even if I was drugged and beaten into doing so, though. I've been trying to wipe this scene from my memory ever since I first saw it.

So, there is this big celebration going on in Zion, the only place left with inhabitants of the human race. Morpheus has just given a speech, empowering his people, and now it's time for Zion to get their groove on. Those guys have been living in fear for so long, and with the arrival of 'The One' Neo, maybe they do have a chance of surviving after all?

Though a couple since The Matrix, this is the first time that we see Neo and Trinity go, in a pre-teen way of describing it, 'all the way'. The sex scene itself isn't actually that weird, it's what surrounds it that makes it horrendous to witness. The music, the dancing, all of that bring your average run-of-the-mill shag to levels of, "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?". It's like an orgy without there being an actual orgy. You could say it gets pretty close to that territory.



I've mentioned my love for Trinity before on this blog (when under the Feminising Film name), but have probably skipped pass how much I love her and Neo as a couple. They're the epitome of two people who are destined, quite literally, to be together. Ever since first watching The Matrix, I've always taken a shine to this pairing and thought that they bounced off together nicely, there was chemistry going on.

I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with them taking the sex-step - hey, I don't think anyone would have been against seeing Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss banging -, I just have no idea what the fuck the Wachowskis's were thinking when they married an inmate moment between Neo and Trinity with the whole of fucking Zion grinding up against each other in a sweaty tirade to music that wouldn't be out of place if it were played at Cyberdog in Camden Town. 

Passion, I am going to go ahead and assume, is what the Wachowskwis's were going for here, but they completely miss the ball. It feels like Zion are in on the whole Neo and Trinity act, that it's not a heated moment between two people. If they wanted to go for an intense sex scene, all hot and heavy, this certainly wasn't the way to go about it. Anything would have been better than this, fucking anything.


The Matrix Reloaded is incredibly flawed, yes, but there is enough good mixed in with the crap to defend it. That's before I am reminded that this scene exists; that it is not apart of my warped imagination, and then I find my defenses crumbling down. I have no excuse for this, I really don't. It's one of the most scarring things I've seen, and I hope to God that I am not the only one who feels that way.

Side note: If this was the first time that Trinity and Neo sealed the deal, would this have, technically, been both of their 'first times' since they were reborn when entering the real world?

12 comments

  1. What cracks me up about this scene is that right after Trinity and Neo are finished he falls on the bed with this pained expression and Trinity goes "what is wrong?" - the timing here was so silly I actually laughed out loud.

    I didn't hate the scene you describe here, personally I thought that Morpheus's speech preceeding it was much worse. I do like the film though. That said, comparing to the abomination that is Revolutions this movie is freaking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was watching the scene on YouTube to grab these stills, I remembered that bit to it and slightly laughed as well.

      And Morpheus's speech is certainly horrendous, to say the least.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember this movie very well. The only film in this trilogy that stuck in my mind was the first. This sex scene does sound more weird than hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I do like this entry into the trilogy, it's really the first one that should stick in your mind!

      Delete
  3. lol, i was watching it yesterday, you were right about that scene when they suddenly start sucking off each others faces in the lift.lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd love to be Carrie-Anne Moss right?

      Delete
  4. maybe if I get some plugs on my spinal cord and skull I can get laid more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. This is the reason why I'm not getting any dick, standard shit.

      Delete
  5. Must have missed this post earlier. I'm a big Matrix fan, loved the first one. That part of Reloaded when everyone started dancing was really dumb. It's like "Stop, every body dance now!" Because we are all going to die! But the rest of the movie was fun.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I completely missed your comment James and me too - I have a ridiculous amount of love for the first film, and as I said here, even the second one. The third, well, maybe I'll get to writing something about it some day. Probably not any time soon, though. It'll take incredible planning on what I'm going to say on that one.

      Delete
  6. ahah hilarious scene... The Matrix is one of my all-time favorites, I still can't believe they screwed up such a perfect film with a sequel (despite you being right about the good things in it) and nobody stopped them from making a third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only just saw this comment now, so apologies for not replying earlier (nearly a year later - bad blogging me!).

      The third one...well, the less spoken about that one I think will be better all round for humanity, but in context, Reloaded ain't that bad at all. This scene just sets it for a weird underlying tone that felt like when I read the Ghost in the Shell manga and there is this plugin, hardcore sex going on for about 10 pages...which could probably be where the inspiration came from. Or something like that.

      Delete

 

About



So what's this place Can You Dig It? all about? Who is the enigma that goes under the name of Cherokee? Clickity click on that ugly mug in the GIF, she has the answers to all your burning questions.

Follow on Google+

Reviews of Cherokee's writing


User comment from Jezebel article written in 2011: "I'm a teenager and I could write better than that two or three years ago."

Queen Rehema: "I love you (Cherokee). Bear my children."

HAVE A LOOK 'ROUND

Loading...

I write for...


People who sometimes care what I have to say

Follow by Email If That's Your Thing